The History of Boyer Children's Clinic
The agency was formed by a group of doctors, parents and volunteers. They began services in a one-room office in 1942. Enrollment swelled to 100 children, requiring a larger facility. Women volunteers formed Auxiliary units and incorporated as the Spastic Aid Council, Inc., in 1947 and operated the Spastic Children’s Clinic and Preschool. A down payment was made on the existing building at 1850 Boyer Avenue East, then owned by the Presbyterian Church. The Kiwanis stepped forward and performed the first of many generous deeds by providing $7,000 of the $8,000 purchase price. Several renovations were made over the years in order to make the facility suitable to the special needs of children with cerebral palsy.